Our safeguarding responsibilities
Sutton Mencap takes its safeguarding responsibilities very seriously. Some of the key elements to this are as follows:
- We make sure staff are trained to identify and report safeguarding concerns both internally and to the appropriate statutory bodies.
- We ensure staff are aware of different types of abuse.
- The need to protect children and vulnerable adults is central to the way we deliver all our services.
- We follow safe recruitment procedures which include carrying out appropriate checks on potential staff and volunteers.
- We make sure trustees have appropriate oversight of safeguarding policies.
- We provide staff and volunteers with appropriate procedures for whistleblowing.
- We provide service users and carers with appropriate procedures for making complaints.
- We have effective partnerships in place, in particular with the council and police.
What to do if you are concerned about a child or an adult
For concerns about children and young people in Sutton, you can contact the Children’s First Contact Service at the London borough of Sutton on 020 8770 6001 (out of hours: 020 8770 5000) or email@example.com
For concerns about adults you can contact the safeguarding referral point on 020 8770 4565, or firstname.lastname@example.org.
You are also welcome to talk to a staff member or trustee at Sutton Mencap. Our safeguarding leads are David Hobday (Director) and Clare Fionda (Vice Chair of the Trustee Board). Contact us on 020 8647 8600.
Sutton Safeguarding Adults Board has produced an easy read guide for safeguarding adults which is attached at the bottom of this page.
For more information from the London Borough of Sutton regarding adult safeguarding visit www.sutton.gov.uk/info/200609/safe_from_abuse_-_adult_safeguarding
The NSPCC has developed the PANTS rule, a simple guide to understanding sexual abuse aimed at parents and children. A copy of the NSPCC leaflet is attached at the bottom of this page.
More information on local safeguarding for children is available at www.suttonlscp.org.uk/ or www.sutton.gov.uk/info/200235/safeguarding_children
For copies of Sutton Mencap policies relating to safeguarding, whistleblowing and complaints, visit www.suttonmencap.org.uk/about-us/key-documents/